Why do i have indigestion
What is the main cause of indigestion?
Common causes of indigestion include: Overeating or eating too quickly. Fatty, greasy or spicy foods. Too much caffeine, alcohol, chocolate or carbonated beverages.
How do you get indigestion to go away?
You can also do some things on your own to ease your symptoms:
- Try not to chew with your mouth open, talk while you chew, or eat too fast. …
- Drink beverages after rather than during meals.
- Avoid late-night eating.
- Try to relax after meals.
- Avoid spicy foods.
- If you smoke, quit.
- Avoid alcohol.
Is it normal to have indigestion everyday?
Indigestion is often a sign of an underlying problem, such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), ulcers, or gallbladder disease, rather than a condition of its own. Also called dyspepsia, it is defined as a persistent or recurrent pain or discomfort in the upper abdomen.
How can you tell if you have indigestion?
What are the symptoms of indigestion?
- pain, a burning feeling, or discomfort in your upper abdomen.
- feeling full too soon while eating a meal.
- feeling uncomfortably full after eating a meal.
Does water help indigestion?
Talk to your doctor about finding relief. Heartburn worse after exercise? Drink plenty of water. It helps with hydration and digestion.
Does stress cause indigestion?
When stress activates the flight-or-flight response in your central nervous system, Dr. Koch says that it can affect your digestive system by: Causing your esophagus to go into spasms. Increasing the acid in your stomach, which results in indigestion.
What food causes indigestion?
Food and drinks that commonly trigger heartburn include:
- alcohol, particularly red wine.
- black pepper, garlic, raw onions, and other spicy foods.
- citrus fruits and products, such as lemons, oranges and orange juice.
- coffee and caffeinated drinks, including tea and soda.
What food is good for indigestion?
Foods to eat
- Vegetables. Vegetables are naturally low in fat and sugar. …
- Non-citrus fruits. Non-citrus fruits, including melons, bananas, apples, and pears, are less likely to trigger reflux symptoms than acidic fruits.
- Lean meats and seafood. …
- Egg whites. …
- Healthy fats.
What should you eat when you have indigestion?
8 foods that can help heartburn:
- Whole Grains. Whole grains are grains that retain all parts of the seed (bran, germ, and endosperm). …
- Ginger. …
- 3. Fruits and Vegetables. …
- Yogurt. …
- Lean proteins. …
- Legumes. …
- Nuts and seeds. …
- Healthy fats.
How do you get rid of indigestion and burping?
How Can I Stop Burping?
- Eat or drink more slowly. You’re less likely to swallow air.
- Don’t eat things like broccoli, cabbage, beans, or dairy products. …
- Stay away from soda and pint.
- Don’t chew gum.
- Stop smoking. …
- Take a walk after eating. …
- Take an antacid.
Is milk good for indigestion?
While it’s true that milk can temporarily buffer stomach acid, nutrients in milk, particularly fat, may stimulate the stomach to produce more acid. Even though milk might not be a great heartburn remedy, however, it’s a rich source of bone-building calcium. Try fat-free skim milk and don’t overdo it.
What medicine is best for indigestion?
Over-the-counter antacids are generally the first choice. Other options include: Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), which can reduce stomach acid. PPIs may be recommended particularly if you experience heartburn along with indigestion.
How do you get rid of indigestion naturally?
Here’s a look at eight home remedies that can provide quick relief for indigestion.
- Peppermint tea. Peppermint is more than a breath freshener. …
- Chamomile tea. Chamomile tea is known to help induce sleep and calm anxiety. …
- Apple cider vinegar. …
- Ginger. …
- Fennel seed. …
- Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) …
- Lemon water. …
- Licorice root.
What is the best tablet for indigestion?
- Best Overall: Prilosec OTC at Amazon. …
- Best Liquid Antacid: Pepto Bismol Original at Amazon. …
- Best Flavored Antacid: TUMS Chewy Bites Antacid Tablets at Amazon. …
- Best Chewable Antacid: Rolaids Extra Strength Antacid Chewable Tablets at Amazon. …
- Best for GERD: …
- Best for Kids: …
- Best With Added Benefits:
Can indigestion last for days?
How long does indigestion (dyspepsia) last? Indigestion is a chronic disease that usually lasts years, if not a lifetime. It does, however, display periodicity, which means that the symptoms may be more frequent or severe for days, weeks, or months and then less frequent or severe for days, weeks, or months.
Why do I get indigestion at night?
There are a few common causes of heartburn at night, which include consuming particular foods, eating too close to bedtime, and taking certain prescription medications. Heartburn at night or worsening heartburn symptoms may be a sign of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Is it bad to take antacids everyday?
Some people with acid reflux get into the habit of taking over-the-counter antacids daily to prevent symptoms, but this can be harmful in the long run. Long-term use of antacids leads to an increased risk of osteoporosis and bone fractures, gastrointestinal infections and pneumonia.
Is Gaviscon safe?
Gaviscon is a very safe medicine. Most people who take it do not have any side effects. If you do get a side effect, it’s likely to be mild and will go away when you stop taking Gaviscon.
What is the safest medicine for acid reflux?
You may only have heartburn every now and then—such as after a big, spicy meal. This may be uncomfortable, but it is not serious. You can usually get relief from an antacid, like Rolaids or Tums, or an H2 blocker, such as Pepcid AC or Zantac.