When did we start celebrating Black History Month?
January 2, 1970 – February 28, 1970 (Kent State University)
Black History Month/Date of first occurrence
What months are Black History Month?
|Black History Month|
|Observed by||United States, Canada, United Kingdom|
|Significance||Celebration of the African diaspora including, African-American history|
|Date||February (US and Canada) October (Europe)|
What is the theme of Black History Month 2021?
The theme for Black History Month 2021 is The Black Family: Representation, Identity and Diversity and is set every year by the Association for the Study of African American Life and History®, an organization founded in 1915 by Dr.
How do you acknowledge Black History Month?
Here are six ideas for honoring Black History Month.
- Support black-owned businesses. …
- Contribute to black nonprofits. …
- Read black literature. …
- Recognize black artists. …
- Research black history in your area. …
- Learn about prominent black figures.
Is June Black Music Month?
In 1979 President Jimmy Carter decreed June to be Black Music Appreciation Month. Every June we take this opportunity to recognize how Black artists and African American sonic influences changed the sounds of American music.
What are employers doing for Black History Month?
To celebrate Black History Month, employers are showcasing stories, experiences and achievements of their Black employees, customers and communities, acknowledging their pasts, and committing greater action to achieve diversity, inclusion and equality.
What can companies do for Black History Month?
Below, we’ve round up four active ways you can recognize the contributions of black Americans all year round.
- Invite guest speakers to facilitate D&I dialogues. …
- Support black-owned or black-operated businesses and nonprofits. …
- Host a Black History Month trivia event. …
- Promote black art, film and literature.
What can employers do for Black History Month?
4 ways to celebrate Black History Month in the workplace
- Bring in speakers and create a space for employees to listen and share. …
- Spotlight employee stories. …
- Ask employees to take the lead. …
- Volunteer your time and your money. …
- Supporting diversity in the workplace 365 days a year.
How does social media celebrate Black History Month?
Outlined below are four major ways your small business can celebrate Black History Month on social media.
- Support Black-owned businesses and encourage others to do the same.
- Share a Black History Month post to social media.
- Go beyond the quote post.
- Celebrate Black history year round.
How is Black History Month virtually at work?
1. Book a Speaker. Hosting an educational talk is one of the best ways to recognize Black History Month. The activity gives employees the chance to learn more about an interesting topic, ask an expert questions, and get face-to-face time with remote coworkers.
How do I become a social media advocate?
5 Ways You Can Participate in Social Media Advocacy
- Develop a strong, passionate voice on social media. …
- Practice writing clearly and with sophistication. …
- Become a thought leader. …
- Promote social media activity among your peers. …
- Understand the demographics of your business’s target audience.
What is the theme for Black History Month 2020 UK?
Proud To Be
Inspired by the 2020 Black Lives Matter events, the new campaign is called ‘Proud To Be’. It will invite Black and Brown people of all ages throughout the UK to share what they are proud to be.
Who should I do my black history project on?
- Legal figure Homer Plessy.
- NAACP founder W. E. B. Du Bois.
- Murdered civil rights activist Medgar Evers.
- Civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Civil rights leader Coretta Scott King.
What is Black History Month for 1st graders?
What did black people invent?
The Three-Light Traffic Signal, Invented by Garrett Morgan in 1923. With only an elementary school education, Black inventor (and son of an enslaved parent), Garrett Morgan came up with several significant inventions, including an improved sewing machine and the gas mask.
How do I talk to my kids about Black History Month?
Take trips to a museum to see Black History month exhibits. Check out a relevant book from the library, watch documentaries and do research together online. Another easy way to discuss Black history with children is by introducing them to role models across a variety of fields.
What is Black History Month videos?
What are some black history names?
While Black History Month is synonymous with prominent figures such as Martin Luther King Jr., Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Muhammad Ali, Jackie Robinson, Langston Hughes, Maya Angelou, George Washington Carver and Barack Obama, there are countless other African Americans who’ve made a profound impact in history: self- …
What is Black History Month for middle schoolers?
Black History Month, celebrated February of every year, is a fantastic opportunity to teach children about world history, social studies, and modern politics. Specifically, the month looks to highlight African American achievements and recognize the central role African Americans have played in U.S. history.